Friday 1 February 2013

Late Night Notes - houses or homes?

Written yesterday ...
Late last night, or possibly early this morning I was lying in that 'almost asleep but not quite' mode when I remembered the tack I had used last week when I found John Elstob Hutton, and wondering if I should apply it to his cousin William Satchell Hutton, the master mariner.  It was an obvious course of action, but in my last two blogs about him (Pt1 & Pt2) I'd forgotten all about it. 

So I had to turn the light on and write it down before I forgot ... I keep a small notepad and a pencil on the bedside cabinet for just this sort of thing, 'cos when you've written it down you can (usually) stop thinking about it and get on with sleeping. 

What I wrote down was, "Look at houses - sizes, areas".  And while I was there I also noted, "Sister - reason for being there? before Ann? possible support".  OK, a bit cryptic if you haven't read yesterday's episode, but what I meant was investigate W S Hutton's wife's sister whom I remembered yesterday had settled in Monkwearmouth, which is adjacent to Sunderland.

Back today after problems with comments again ...
Yesterday I decided to investigate the houses where William had lived and where his family lived after his death.  I printed out a list of his addresses from my family tree program.  Bear in mind that the line between Bishopwearmouth and Sunderland seems a bit vague, less so in the past, but today Bishopwearmouth has practically vanished.  References to maps can be followed up on the Sunderland Antiquarians website and the Durham Images maps pages.

 Born 1838
Ward Terrace, Bishopwearmouth
Found on 1857 map
now demolished
 1841 census
Tatham Street, Bishopwearmouth
Found on 1857 map
mostly destroyed in WW2
 1851 census
16 Olive Street, Bishopwearmouth
Found on 1857 map
Photographed some old houses still exist
 1858 Claim for Mate's certificate
16 Olive Street, Bishopwearmouth
see above 
 1861 census
Nelson Street, Bishopwearmouth
 Found on 1857 map
now demolished
 1865 Claim for Master's certificate
10 Addison Street, Bishopwearmouth
Found on 1857 map
now present but redeveloped 
 1871 census
18 Bedford Street,
Found on 1857 map
exists but redeveloped 
 1881 census
William at sea but Ann at:
Mordey Street, Bishopwearmouth
Not built 1857, found 1897 map
now demolished 
 1883 Kelly's Directory
Hutton, Wm Satchill
23 Mordey Street, Bishopwearmouth
see above
 1887 death
9 Bramwell Street, Bishopwearmouth
Partially on 1857 map, now demolished 
 1891 census
After William's death Ann at:
14 Salem Hill, Bishopwearmouth
Found on 1897 map,
one side of road
still in existence
 1901 census
After William's death Ann at:
6 Villette Mount, Bishopwearmouth
Found on 1897 map,
part of Toward Road
house still in existence
 1911 census
After William's death Ann at:
4 Guisborough Street, Sunderland
Not on 1897 map, found on 1919 map
house still in existence

Unfortunately, as you can see, many of the houses William lived in have been demolished, even the streets no longer exist.  It was fascinating to see that they lived on Mordey Street in the 1880s, as that was William's mother's maiden name.  Her brother, William Mordey was Mayor of Sunderland in 1850 and he was a very respected surgeon.  Maybe the street was named after him.

I found the map below on the Durham Images site.  It shows that Ward Terrace, Addison Street, Mordey Street and Bramwell Street are all in the same area of the town.  In fact they are appear to be in Hendon rather than Bishopwearmouth or Sunderland, but that may be a distinction that doesn't apply to the census returns.

Streets in the area of Ward Terrace, Sunderland 1955 (from Durham Images)
Although this map snip is from 1955, much later than William lived in any of these places, it clearly shows some house numbers allowing me to work out just where he had lived.

I have a note (but can't find the source) that one of William's children, Thomas, the baby who died in 1865,  was baptised at St Paul's Hendon - which is just off the map to the north.  Off the map to the south is St Barnabas' Middle Hendon, where William's youngest son got married in 1900 from 6 Villette Mount. 

I'd better put the Hendon churches on my to do list for next time we go to Durham.

No comments: